Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Iron Rations Part XII

Despite their comfortable accommodations, Abel was furious.

     He, Apris, Devon and Aithne had found a quaint village and decided to stay a few days for rest and recuperation. Although they did not speak of it, the encounter with Olwyn the Cleric weighed heavily on their minds. They had booked some nice rooms at a cozy inn and were settling down for a nice evening.

     That’s when the local wizard walked in. Charismatic, intelligent and worldly, he wasted no time in attempting to charm Apris. (Aithne found him boorish and retired to her room.) Apris was awed by the wizard’s exploits and hung on his every word. They sat by the fire, sipping brandy, while Devon and Abel looked on from across the room.

     “Who the hell does this guy think he is?” hissed Abel.

     “I think he said his name was Arkon the Enchanter,” replied Devon.

     “I don’t care what he calls himself. I’m going to kick his ass.” Abel got up and walked toward Arkon, fists balled.

     “Oh, Abel, I’m so glad you joined us,” said Arkon, looking up from his glass. “I was just telling Apris that you and your friends would be perfect for a task I need completed. I can pay you well.”

     “What?” asked Abel. Impatient, he continued. “Listen, friend, I don’t care about your task or your gold. I just want to go to bed and I’m taking Apris with me.”

     Looking to Apris, he said, “Let’s go.”

     “You are being rude!” exclaimed Apris. “Arkon has a lot to offer us and you are spoiling everything!”

     His voice rising in anger, Abel spat, “Apris, get your butt upstairs. I’m not in the mood for this.”

     Embarrassed, Arkon stood up and said, “I’ll leave you two to your dispute. Perhaps we’ll talk in the morning.”

     “Don’t bet on it,” shot Abel.

     Ignoring the comment, Arkon walked for the door. Apris and Abel’s argument grew more and more heated and Devon could only shake his head in disbelief. Hoping to salvage the night, he hurried out after Arkon, calling as he went. “Wait! Wait! I assure you that we can complete any task you need! Please, wait!”

Arkon the Enchanter, Level 5 Magic User; Alignment: Neutral; AC 9 (ring of protection +1); Hit Dice 5; Hit Points 12; Attacks: dagger (d4); Move: 90'; Languages: Common, Elvish, Dwarven

Abilities: Str 11, Int 16, Wis 15 (+1 on magic-based saving throws), Dex 12, Con 9, Ch 14 (+1 adjustment to reactions)

Spells: Sleep, Shield, Invisibility, Web, Fireball;  

Equipment: Ring of Protection +1, Wand of Paralyzation (5 charges), dagger, 20 gp.

No comments:

Post a Comment