Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Conversion Experience: Dusty Tutwiler

Southern Bastards #1; Image Comics; April 2014; $3.50

A lifetime ago I was accepted to graduate school at the University of North Carolina and the University of South Carolina. Sometimes I regret not attending either school (I chose San Diego State), but things have worked out okay. Still, my interest in the South remains, so how could I pass up a title like Southern Bastards?

     In this first issue we learn of Coach Boss, a local kingpin who happens to be the high school football coach. In the South, football has a an almost religious aspect to it. The vehicle of this knowledge is Dusty Tutwiler, a terrified man with bloodshot eyes and a penchant for thievery. The fear evident in Dusty is an excellent story-telling device. The nastier the villain, the greater the terror he inspires in his victims.

     In Fate Accelerated, you can use Dusty as generic street-level rabble who has made a powerful enemy. He's desperate and scared, yet still retains a bizarre sense of honor.

Dusty Tutlwiler
Stoned and stupid; In a heap o' trouble

Good (+2) at: Stealing, football trivia
Bat (-2) at: Fightng, common sense

Stress: [_]

Notes: Dusty has a wad of stolen cash on his person.

6 comments:

  1. He seems angry for someone who has a wad of cash in his pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that deep down he knows he's going to die (horribly) on the last panel of this issue. Oh, Dusty...

      Delete
  2. I currently live in South Carolina (for the second time in my life). I wouldn't say you're missing too much, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In light of current events, that makes a lot of sense. :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting ideas. The thought had not occurred to me to use FAE for a dark, gritty game. Have you played it that way? It always came across to me as a pulpy, cinematic style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I used it we played campaign that was light, but punctuated with moments of poignant drama. It worked pretty well. I think the Dresden Files was a good model for me to emulate. Light at times, but overall rather intense.

      Delete