I've been re-reading The Dinosaur Heresies by Robert Bakker. In a section discussing amphibian and reptile hunting adaptations, Bakker describes a large frog species capable of devouring rats and birds. The frogs achieve this by being effective ambush hunters. The species also has saliva that acts as an anesthetic, quickly subduing a prey item so that it can be gulped down.
Skwugs were inspired by this section of the book as a kind of amphibious goblin, but not nearly so nasty. Like the frogs in Bakker's book, skwugs have an anesthetic saliva that they can spit at foes to stun them. Once subdued, the victims can be robbed and poked at. The saliva also has powerful hallucinatory properties.
The skwugs are native to the Outlands near the Great Spire. They reside in a marshy area and mostly keep to themselves. They worship a gigantic purple toad in the middle of the swampy area and try to appease him with the items they steal from passers-by. He bestows his favor upon them by devouring a dozen of their number each full moon. The toad then belches a mighty hallucinogenic cloud that engulfs the entire tribe.
No. Appearing 4d4
Armor Class 6
Hit Dice 1-1
Hit Points 3
No. of Attacks 1
Damage 1-2 (bite)
Special Attack Poison (see below)
Special Defense Leap (see below)
XP Value 30
Poison Attack: Skwugs can spit a gob of saliva up to 30' at a single target with a +4 to hit. The target must save vs. poison or fall to the ground paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. The poison is quite potent, so after the paralysis wears off, the victim will trip balls for 3d6 rounds. Roll on the hallucination table below. (1d6)
1) Victim thinks he can fly. He begins running here and there, flapping his arms wildly. Kaw kaw!
2) Victim loves everyone and everything. Many bro hugs given.
3) Victim's consciousness is elevated and many truths of the Outer Planes are revealed. A permanent +1 to Intelligence is gained.
4) Non-stop giggling and laughing ensues. The victim struggles to take things seriously from that point forward. A permanent -1 to Intelligence is sustained.
5) Victim emerges from a stupor and can now speak with giant frogs, skwugs and bullywugs. Ribbit!
6) Victim strips naked and wants to swim with his new friends. Watch out for leeches.
Perhaps there is a market for skwug saliva?
Defensive Leap: A skwug can leap 3" in an instant, a technique it often employs to escape danger.